Basilic of Saint Stephen
A catholic basilica in the seventh district. With 94 meter it’s the third highest building in Hungary. The most significant national relic, The Holy Right Hand of St. Stephen is kept here. The construction of the basilica started in February 1848, but the process was soon interrupted, due to the revolution and the war of the independence. After the death of the basilica’s architect, József Hild, the work was continued under the direction of Miklós Ybl. 1868 the dome collapsed, so Ybl modified the plans of Hild. After Ybl’s death, the construction work was managed by József Kauser. The inauguration took place in the year 1905. The appearance of the basilica reflects credit on Ybl, so this wonderful building can be considered his masterpiece. It’s inner space was decorated by famous painters like Bertalan Székely, Mór Than, Árpád Feszty and Gyula Benczúr. The dome burnt down in 1947, but soon it was restored.